You know the feeling: your eyelids are closing, your head feels like a bag of coconuts, and time seems to be standing still. Yep, we’re talking about the dreaded afternoon slump.
Whether it was a late night watching Scandal re-runs, consoling your preschooler about monsters under the bed, or spending hours filling out expense reports, a lull in your afternoon energy can seriously put a damper on your day. And until mandatory siestas or desk beds become a Canadian norm, there are a few things you can do to fight the fatigue (and that don’t involve an espresso IV drip).
1. Stretch. A simple stretching sequence at your desk can do wonders, as it improves circulation and blood flow. Roll your shoulders forwards, then backwards, timing each roll with a deep breath in and out. Stand up and put your left hand into your right palm while gently leaning to the right for a side stretch. Repeat on the other side.
2. Snack right. A healthy snack that’s high in protein, fibre, and healthy fats can rev up both your body and mind when the clock strikes three. Some of our favourite go-to’s include a handful of Wholesome Yogi, Wasabi-Me, and (you guessed it) 3pm Goji. Just be sure to guzzle down a big glass of water to help your body digest and stay hydrated.
3. Get outside. Staring at a screen all day wears on not just your mind, but also your body. Step away from your desk and head outside for a quick Vitamin D hit. Even if it’s raining, a change of scenery and breath of fresh air will recharge the system.
4. Eat chocolate, but not too much. Remember the 80/20 rule of snacking, 80% whole grown goodness, 20% reward for making smart decisions. A bar of milk chocolate will send your sugar levels spiking and then plummeting minutes later. We’re talking about the dark variety that’s 70% or higher (ahem, 3pm Goji as mentioned above).
Good quality dark chocolate is abundant in fibre and magnesium and provides a little caffeine. Oh, and it’s delish. Grab a few handfuls of Tuscan Road Trip and get on with your afternoon.
5. Take a social media break. Sometimes we all need a little breather from the daily grind, so if your eyelids are starting to close, take 10 minutes and peruse your Instagram, Twitter, and Facebook feeds to see what your family, friends, and Insta-Famous peeps are doing (including us!). Better yet – take it outside!
In a perfect world we’d all get eight hours of uninterrupted sleep, but with work, parenting, exams, or whatever else is affecting your important shut-eye, these afternoon hacks will hopefully help get you through your next slump. No energy drinks or cappuccinos required.
Wondering which of our snacks are perfect for fighting the afternoon hanger? Contact our Snack experts here! [email protected].